Classes and the Hospital:
I started taking Spanish classes Monday and began working in a local clinic today. What an experience! The clinic I am at is for lower class people and is set up so that they do not have to pay the visit. I believe they do have to pay for some of the medications provided. It is interesting to see how the doctors get by with little funds. A big culture shock, for me, was the lack of gloves used. They just do not have the money to constantly buy new gloves. While I was there today I worked as a scribe for the doctor and helped with vitals. I saw everything from a pregnant 16 year old coming in for a check up to a woman who had chopped off the top of her finger during work (yes Mom, I told them about you).
The woman cut her finger with a machete and was missing half her nail bed. There was blood everywhere. Despite the anesthesia shot into the finger the woman was not able to endure more than three stitches. I don't blame her, it looked painful. I really wish I had brought my camera with me.
There was also a boy with epilepsy. He was at school and had a tremor inducing vomit all over himself. The teacher brought him in thinking he was very sick. I wanted to go hurl. No one wore gloves when working with him (and only the doctor wore gloves with the woman with a cut finger). When the doctor and I went back to her office to see regular patients (the boy was in an Emergency Room) she went to work at her type writer. After a minute she realized how smelly her hands were and we washed our hands.
One of the final patients when I was there had a vaginal infection due to an IUD. We looked the door, the woman stripped her pants and lay down on the table and the doctor opened her up. Now I know what an inflamed vagina looks like.
| A graduation party |
| Regulas |
| View of the sunset from one of the squares. |
| Church where the Organ Concert was held |
| La Protesta |
ps. See Dad, I am drinking water. See??
I'm glad you are drinking clean water!
ReplyDeleteIf you have any break in your skin and are exposed to blood or body fluid of someone with HIV or hep C you are at risk for catching something life threatening or at least changing. "Universal precautions" means you Assume everyone has hep c and HIV. Don't get any cuts or pokes. Wear gloves when touching personal or soiled stuff
Some of that was pretty gross, but it sounds like you're having a great time. Thanks for posting about it.
ReplyDelete